Thursday, September 16, 2010

Silver Linings

Today we received some good news for my mom! 

I wrote a note to the doctor in charge of mom's care.  Now, keep in mind, this doc is not mom's doctor, he is simply a doctor assigned to review the case.  He is not on staff at the care facility.  He is rarely physically present.  I had to pass the note to the nurse, who then relayed my questions by phone to the doctor. Bless her heart, she did ask!

I mentioned a couple of labwork details that have been brushed off by four different doctors now and asked if he thought them worthy of concern.  He responded by doing a number of blood tests!

Well, the results of one test came in, and BINGO!  We are getting a referral to a good endocrinologist!

The other panel won't be in for a few days.  I am anxiously awaiting that, but thankfully this kind and observant doctor really sees something worth a closer look and did not brush aside our concerns just because mom is 83 years old.  He is pursuing the details her personal physician ignored.

She's had a good three days.  Very clear-headed and more like herself than I've seen her in a long time.  The other good news is that she may be out of the care facility in a couple of days.  I hope it happens!  I am anxious to be in my own home (600 miles away) after spending 5 weeks at mom's , and I'm very anxious for things to improve for mom.  This has been one hellish year for her.

Keep praying, anyone who is reading this!

No comments: