Monday, January 18, 2010

Helping Haiti

The Anchoress over at the FirstThings blog has assembled a lovely list of organizations that are helping victims of the deadly, destructive earthquake that recently struck Haiti. I recognize many of them, and will support one or two of them. I will NOT support the Red Cross, I like others better.

It is always good to look at the finances of any organization you might consider supporting; one that sends most of it's funds right to their work is a good bet. Organizations with high fund-raising costs are not organizations I will support. It is also important to me that an organization's financial information be easily accessible to donors and potential donors.

I would add a couple of organizations (see below) to the Anchoress' list. A heads-up for Baptist Haiti Mission, they are primarily a Christian Education mission but look like they will be accountable to use earthquake relief funds for earthquake relief and they are already there in Haiti. I have included links to the financial pages for these groups, all post detailed reports and some have links to their federal form 990 if you really want to look them over.

  • Medical Teams International (LOW overhead at only 2.66%)
  • Baptist Haiti Mission (programs 90%, operations 10%)
  • Samaritan's Purse (overhead/fundraising 11%)
  • No comments: